Thursday, April 19, 2012

Flippin Freaking Out!


I have taught for 11 years.  When I first started teaching my students were only 10 years younger than me.  I was a kid teaching kids.  At that point in my career I was idealist.  I believed I could save the world through group work, interactive lesson plans, student centered learning and constructivist lesson planning.    Although I have had a few bumps in the road I can proudly say I still feel that way. I have an enthusiasm that is undying.

However, my enthusiasm is a bit unfocused.  I jump from idea to idea.  From method to method. And, right now it's focused on flipping my classroom. The idea for flipping my classroom came from my assistant superintendent.  All she said was "Carla, have you heard of the "flip"?"  I started researching and became obsessed.  It seemed like the answer for the nagging issues facing my classroom.  Such as, "why don't I have enough time to teach?"  Or, "why aren't my students learning from my notes?"  I have collected resources and begun my process.  For the next couple of months I will use this space to review and reflect on flipping my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment